Monday, July 13, 2009

Maxis Are Back And I'm Not Talkin' Pads

When we went to see Megan up in Michigan we took a little side trip to Chicago just for fun. While there I was surprised at a fashion trend that I saw. I can honestly say that it hasn't been in style since 1971, and that was a pretty brief flash in the pan.


I haven't seen any one in Dallas wearing this style. I think it is because it is so hot here that all of that extra fabric might be a contributing factor to heat stroke. Yet I have seen the new maxis on the current racks at Target.


I just don't see this style doing a lot for anyone. Generally, they are made out of tee shirt fabric and they show every lump and bump, or lack thereof. I remember hearing years ago about a study relating the length of women's dress hemlines to the general state of the economy. The better the economy, the shorter the hemline. So according to this predictor we must think the economy is in the toilet if we are willing to wear maxis. I think we should rebel against the pessimism that would put us in cheap prom dresses! I really don't think the economy is bad enough to put the hemlines back 100 years.


We went to Navy Pier to look around.


We might have stayed there a little longer but no one wanted to see the Shang Hai Circus and the Ferris wheel was broken. But what a great place for some pictures.


We found a large fountain and Joe took off his shirt and shoes and took a few minutes to play. In this picture he is reenacting a scene from the movie Annapolis when the plebes in a company were forced to do push ups in the rain.


One of our favorite things to do in Chicago is to go to the Hershey Store. We like to have the Hersheyiser decorate our cupcake for us. It is worth the extra dollar that you pay.


Joe had to pay his devotion to Lord Vader at the Lego store.


We pulled a surprise twin day on Chris. Joe was so excited to wear the same shirt as Chris. They got so many looks and a few comments. I sure hope no one ever does this to me. But I am definitely considering how I could incorporate this into a good April Fool's Day Joke.


No trip to Chicago would be complete without a visit to Giordonos for Chicago style pizza. Joe has been wanting to try this for a long time so he was pretty happy when we finally took him.

3 comments:

Deanna said...

There are certain styles that should never be given a 2nd chance. Maxis are one as well as hip-hugger/bell bottoms....
It looks like you had a great time on your trip. I loved all of the pictures.

Fisher Family said...

I was at a wedding the other night and I saw a number of girls wearing the long empire style dresses you pictured. You're right they were not very flattering. The pictures of your trip are so fun! Tell Joe he looked great in the fountain.

Unknown said...

I haven't been to the muir woods, but maybe we will next sunday if they aren't too far! I red something about a John Muir at the Big Tree State park.

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.