Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Student Achievement Center, www.studentachievementcenter.org, Norwalk, CA...A Bad Experience

Have you ever noticed that in a relationship, if one of the parties starts out with a lie, the relationship is doomed?  It is hard to change a first impression.  This is the experience I have had with The Student Achievement Center.  For six weeks now they have been calling me about once every two weeks and asking to speak with the parents of Matthew Muir.  In the past I have broken down or become angry, but today I must had had it.  I pretended like I was interested in the product so that I could get all of the information from them so that their own words would condemn them.

Him     Hello!  May I speak to Matthew Muir's mom or dad?

Me      Yes,  I am Matthew's mother. 

Him     Matthew was at a college fair earlier this year and signed up at our booth indicating he was interested in being better prepared to apply for college.

Me      Really!  How did you get his name?

Him     As I said, he signed up at a college fair for information about how to be better prepared to apply for college.  

Me     What is the name of your company?

Him     We are the Student Achievement Center.  We focus on preparing students to take the ACT and the SAT.  You know how competitive it is to get into a good college these days.

Me     Where are you located?

Him     We are located in Norwalk, California.

Me      Well, what is your name?

Him     I am David Rogers.

Me      Do you have a phone number where I can reach you?

Him     Yes.  It is 1 800 503 6964.

Me      Now, where did you say Matthew signed up for this?

Him     Our records indicate it was at some college fair.

Me      That would be interesting.  Matthew died 14 years ago right before his 2nd birthday.  I do not know why your company has continued to call me every two weeks for six weeks now, when I told you this very information on the first call. 

Him     No mam,  this is our first call. 

Me     No it isn't.  I am just wondering how we got on your list and why you won't leave us alone?

Him     We will take you off the list right away.


That is doubtful.  At least he didn't hang up on me this time.  Maybe that was because I had his name and phone number.  You can find this company at the following website:

http://www.studentachievementcenter.org/

So again I pose the question,  does any relationship, business or personal, which starts out with a lie ever improve with time?  Not in my experience.  How can you trust a company which is not forthright in answering the first question a parent would ask, as to how they got your child's name. 

This comes three days after what would have been Matthew's 16th birthday.  Not a good day for me.  As I was going about the busy May routines all I could think about was how this day could have been a wonderful day.  Matthew would be excited about getting his driver's liscense.  I would be reminding him that as soon as he completes his Eagle Scout requirements the liscense would be his.  He would be wishing he had a date planned for the weekend but somehow it wouldn't work out.  My children's first akward attempts at entering the dating scene are always entertaining to me, kind of like watching a child learning how to walk.  We would probably be planning a surprise party for him and would have had the party this very night instead of going to the New Member Mingle at the church.  Okay, I have allowed myself to  fantasize about what can not be long enough.  It is just hard sometimes to keep myself in the here and now, especially on a birthday, especially when I am getting phone calls about Matthew preparing to take the ACT, which I would really enjoy prepping him for myself.  The Muir's have done pretty well on the ACT by using  a combination the Barron's Review Book, flash cards, taking killer classes in high school, and having Mom as the ACT study enforcer.  So even if Matthew had signed his name to this stupid, dishonest company's list, the answer would be Heck No!

7 comments:

Deanna said...

I am so sorry they continue to call Bonnie. I am surprised that they continue after telling them the situation several times. I am glad you included their number.... I think I will call them.

Fisher Family said...

Bonnie I am so sorry you have been harrassed by them. I think you handled them very well. The picture of Megan and Matthew is so cute. Thank you for sharing it.

Salcedo Family Updates said...

I was googling this business and came across this post. Maybe your son's social security number or birth certificate is being used by someone illegally? I've seen both good and bad reviews, so it made me wonder... identity theft is easy if no one is looking because the person has passed away. I'm so sorry for your loss -- a mom's worst nightmare.

Unknown said...

I was solicited repeatedly by this organization. Finally I caved in and ordered their CD's. My son worked on it and found several glitches. They sent a replacement set and those too came with the same set of glitches. My son worked with it, and after a few screens threw up his hands, shook his head furiously and grunted out the words: "It's absolutely useless! I did this in grade 8! These math problems are downright lame!"
I called them up and sent both packages back. They received them on October 15th (they say) and I am still waiting for the refund (12/09/10).

I would stay away from this product. Not only is it useless, the organization is dishonest. In some of the passages and comprehension questions,it was obvious that the product is made at a place where english is not the first language.

Anonymous said...

I have had a very similar experience as Hiranya. The first CD had issues in that it would not progress to the next question for my son. It also was filled with many mistakes...so...they sent a replacement which too had many errors. For $200.00, it should have been impeccable! I sent it back and the received it on 12/13 and I too am still waiting my refund. I just got off the phone with the company and asked to speak to the accounting department as I have before. They never are in and I have tried countless times to get a hold of them. I asked to speak to the supervisor and Diane who I was speaking with, said SHE was the supervisor. I asked her who she had to report too. SHe hesitated and said Pam. I asked for Pam's last mane and she said she didn't know. (Are you kidding??) I said, so you don;t know the last name of the person you work under?? I asked her to ask someone in her office for the last name. She put me on hold and a man got back on . He said he was from the accounting dept. (his name was John and he spelled his last name Arabtt. He said that I would be getting my refund in 3 days and he would personally call me when it went out. I don't have great faith in a return call. I am going to report them to the BBB and also dispute the charge with my credit card and my credit card company can deal with them! Sorry for venting, but when I searched for reviews for them, this was the first site that came up.

Unknown said...

Bonnie,
This certainly shed a lot of light on what has been happening to our family. They are slamming our credit card to the tune of $59.95 per month. And to make matters worse, they have stolen the business name of a sweet young woman in TX who has a personal business to tutor students and they are using that name as their billing name. They won't call back. How do you report scam artists?

Angie said...

they have to be stopped I have been waiting since January for a refund....
I am from the UK and thought OK I will help my son get some extra support...package was awful sent it back STILL no money returned...now I am on a mission!
Angie

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.