Friday, August 28, 2009

Don't Wish, Don't Start, Wishing Only Ruins the Heart

For over a week now I haven't been able to use my computer. I had a lot of advice as to what the problem might be and several people who looked at it but walked away scratching their heads. I took it in to Best Buy to see if the Geek Squad could fix it. I was told that a driver had uninstalled and that all I needed to do was to go home and install the driver. I took it home and Chris turned the computer on to install the driver but we got a blue screen followed by an automatic reboot followed by OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND.

I took it back to the Geeks who informed me that my hard drive had crashed. No, I didn't back up my files. Yes, I lost pictures and everything. Bob, the thoughtful, gave me an external hard drive for Christmas. Just the kind of romantic gift any wife wants. Did I even open the package? No! When Bob was reminding me about this,  I turned the tables and asked him if he had backed up all of his files. Of course, he pulled out his recently updated external hard drive from the fire proof safe. What can I say about a guy who can make a fire with wet wood while it is raining? He is amazing and I need to take a page from his book. But for now I am going to ask John if he can perform a miracle by restoring the files on my damaged disk. I have heard it is possible with the right equipment and the know how. Maybe this can be one of his class projects.

I am now waiting for Sony to send me a recovery disk so that I can go get the computer out of Geek ICU. When that is installed my computer will be like a newborn on the first day with no stored memory or any of the programs that I have installed or downloaded.

I wish I had backed things up on a regular basis. I wish I knew that the trouble I was having was an indication of a crashing hard drive so that I would have backed up my files.

So, it may be a while, if ever, before I get those Washington camping trip pictures on the blog.

4 comments:

Fisher Family said...

So sorry! I hate it when that happens. I hope John is able to restore your files!

Deanna said...

I remember when my computer crashed a year or so ago. I swore I would start backing up my files---I guess I should look into that.

Megan said...

Oh no! I am guessing that the Geek Squad was not able to back up your files? I now need to look into backing mine up.

Anonymous said...

That's very unfortunate, Mom. I guess the boy scout motto that dad and I have drilled into our heads hasn't been pressed into yours enough. Maybe you will "be prepared" from now on. Come to think of it I should start backing up my files.... But I don't know if I can fix it. The only thing I've learned so far is how to program single function calculators in C++. I don't think it's a similar process to extracting memory from a dead computer. I'll ask around though.

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.