Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween Feast and The Free Clinic




We started our Halloween feast with deviled egss.  The spiders are made out of olives.  These were really really tasty and so cute. 



What Halloween Feast would be complete with out bat wings?




One of our family favorites is a big serving of bones with blood dipping sauce.




Jack-o-burgers have been a family favorite for years. I fed this to everyone right before Joe went out Trick-or-Treating.  Joe got to go out by himself this year. Of course he had a phone and Bob and one of the other dads followed behind them about two houses. 




We made Megan's favorite Halloween treat for dessert.  I carved the tortillas and fried them in a little oil and then sprinkled them with cinnamon sugar.  Bob and Joe ate theirs with ice cream.  I felt that I had reached my sugar limit so I ate mine just as it came.



This year I dressed up like a Democrat.  Megan had given Joe a Barrack Obama Tshirt.  He refused to wear it and actually threatened to throw it away.  I saved it and wore it.  How could anyone waste a two dollar shirt?  I explained to the kids that last year I was Sarah Palin and I was campaining for John Mc Cain, but this year I was a Democrat.  All of the Democrat children were so happy that I had seen the light.  The Republican children were a little confused that I could change political philosophies so quickly.  I then asked them if they wanted their shot in the arm, leg or butt.  Almost all of the kids 6 and under tried to run away.  I asked them if they had read the sign about the free vaccinations.  Some older kids said they had already had the vaccination.  I asked them if they were pregnant because in Dallas county those are the only people getting vaccinations for H1N1.  I found one little girl who really had recieved the vaccine because she was a type one diabetic.  A lot of teenagers said they wanted a shot of whiskey.  Its pretty evident who was absent during Red Ribbon Week.  When the line got really long I told the parents that this was no way indicative of what would happen when our national health care plan passed Congress.  As you can probably guess, all of the children opted for their vaccine to be served in the oral suspension form. They got to choose H1(cherry) or N1(lemonade).  I also had the juice machine filled with plain water.  It is amazing how thirsty you can get while running from house to house. 

   

I started making slushees the night before. I got the machine all cleaned up and filled.  Each side takes 12 cups of sugar.  When I started up the machine the red side came unhinged and I had three gallons of double strength red Koolaide all over the kitchen floor.  It took me about an hour to clean it up.  I got the machine going over night and I cupped up about 160 slushees in the morning and put them in the freezer.  Then I started the next batch so they would be ready for the Trick-or-Treaters.  After a few hours I noticed that the red side was not freezing up.  Some of the electronics got sugared up during the big spill.  Fortunately I was able to clean up the connections enough to get the machine running, thus saving Halloween.  It was iffy for a while.




Joe dressed up as a rapper. He looked a lot like a football player with aviators.  By the end of the night I was exhausted!  I am glad Halloween comes but once a year.

7 comments:

Megan said...

I am so glad that you assured the parents that the lines are no way indicative of national health care wait lines. Way to get the message out there!

Chris said...

Wow, you must be popular. Since you have already been a Dem and a Repub, I'm expecting you to dress up like Ralph Nader next year.

Deanna said...

You are so funny! First Sarah Palin and then a Democrat. I can't wait for next Halloween--I wonder what you will be?

Fisher Family said...

Bonnie you are sooo clever! It looks like a very fun Halloween! I'm so sorry your slushy machine gave you some problems and it was a lot of work for you. In spite of it you were a hit! All your food pictures look great! My favorite was the deviled eggs, so cute!

Ruth said...

Bonnie, you are amazing. Your feast & "shots" sound like a lot of work!

Bonnie said...

I have to confess that the feast took place over a three day period.

Melanie said...

Wow!!! I love everything you did. We totally skipped Halloween this year. Should have gone to your place for some shots.

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.