Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Iron Will

It is amazing what the mineral iron will do for my body.  During a recent exam I told my doctor that I thought I had a low thyroid condition because I was always cold when everyone else was warm.  It seems I have watched Oprah one too many times.  She suggested that maybe I had low blood iron and that was making me cold.  Indeed that is how the blood test results came back. 

I have been going to a hemotologist to work on this problem.  I have been going in for iron infusions twice a week.  I have only been in for three infusions so far, but I can already see the difference in some little ways.  I can eat spicier food now.  That was a surprise.  I hadn't seen an intolerence of spicy food as a side effect of anemia and low blood iron in my internet research.  Yesterday I was actually able to eat a jalapeno slice.  My intolerance of spicy food was getting worse and worse.  I was having trouble chewing Dentyne Gum before I started these treatments.  I was able to get through church this Sunday with only a blanket, not a blanket and my winter coat.  My ice cravings are diminishing.  My nut cravings are diminishing.  I am just waiting for the part when I will have a lot of energy.

4 comments:

Deanna said...

At least you are not eating dirt! I am glad you are getting better!

Fisher Family said...

It's great that the Dr. was able to figure out what was wrong and is helping you! So glad you are getting better!

Megan said...

I am glad you are regaining your ability to eat spicy foods. It was getting pretty sad.

TheSmellyArmpit said...

Glad you are feeling better! I had low iron too and wanted to sleep all the time and felt like my arms and legs were 20lbs more than they are. It's so great after getting on iron pills! I can actually move!!!

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.