Saturday, June 26, 2010

Sasquatch



I have officially located two Sasquatch samples.  They live in my house.  This is a picture of my 12 year old son's foot and my 20 year old son's foot.  The 12 year old has the bigger, less hairy foot.  The thing that makes these feet so unique is that boney edge, jutting out below the pinkie toe.  This is a Native American racial trait.  This makes my boy's feet really wide.  When John went to the Naval Academy he was surprised that he measured a n 8 EEE.  He had been wearing an 11 for several years unless he could find a 10 wide.  We were wrong on both counts.  So when Joe was complaining that the size 13 Adidas running shoe was just too narrow I came to the conclusion that he had inherited Native American feet too.  Luckily, after rejecting the narrow Adidas shoes(we would have tried to size up but they didn't have a 14 at Costco), we went to Sams and Bob found that the Avia mens shoes were sold in standard width and in EEEE's.  I figured that a 4 E might fit Joe better than a D width.  We went down a size to a 12EEEE.  I might have been able to get him into a size 11 but he is only 12 and I think his feet may continue to grow.  I'd like him to wear them for at least 3 or 4 months before we have to buy new ones.  They fit him great.  He hasn't complained about the shoes pinching or any thing.  Well, he has complained about sore muscles from Strength and Conditioning Camp while wearing the shoes, but that just goes to show how much he needs the conditoning before football season.

A few years ago Nike came out with shoes specially designed for the Native American population.  They were a 4E with an extra roomy toe box because Native Americans tend to have a wide gap between the big toe and the other toes, and the second toe is often longer than the big toe.  They were available through various tribal organizations and nowhere else.  Unfortunately, you had to be a registered member of a tribe to get them.  I guess they forgot about the vast amount of Americans with Native American roots whose ancestors were too proud to register with a tribe back in the early 1900's.  We need those extra, extra, extra, extra wide shoes too.  Job Stockam failed to take that into account when he refused to register with the Cherokee Tribe.   I tried to find a black market for the Native American shoes but no one was selling them.  I am not sure why Avia makes the EEEE wide shoes, but I am grateful.  The good news is that we can buy them at Sams Warehouse for about $28.00.

Just as a contrast,  I wear a women's size 10 running shoe, which is a really big shoe for a woman.  Yes, I must be a wicked stepsister.  I have never been confused with Cinderella.  Mine is the pink and white shoe and Joe's shoe is the gray and black one.  I kind of feel like Joe is one of those cute puppy's with really big feet and I know what that means.      

 







John's foot, Joes foot, and my foot (the one with polish).

6 comments:

Megan said...

I can't believe how huge his shoes are. What a good buy.

Deanna said...

How did you get the first picture of both Joe and Johns' feet so close together?.... it makes me wonder what kind of pose they must have been making.
Having a large space between your toes helps you to pick things up with your feet. (At least that is what I always do)

Bonnie said...

They were definitly hugging for that first picture. Joe is an affectionate boy.

Fisher Family said...

Glad you could find Joe some shoes that will fit!

nitwhitz said...

Gee Bonnie...thank you SO much for clarifying in that final photo that YOUR foot was the one w/ the polish. I was beginning to think that either I needed to buy you some Nair OR that that I needed to buy Joe or John some nailpolish remover! HA!

BTW...You'll be thrilled to know that Polynesians also have this foot "issue" of which you speak. We call them having built-in flippers! :)

JT said...

I just wanted to thank you for the pictures, I am part Cherokee.... I have an extremely wide foot and I get alot of funny looks when I go shoe shopping. I get it from the side of my family that I don't really know well so I never knew anyone else in my family to have the same problem. This makes perfect sense, and my foot looks a whole lot like your sons feet. I wear 11 4E myself! lol.

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.