Sunday, April 10, 2011

They Don't All Look Alike

A twelve hour flight in coach isn't so bad on Air China, but then again, I didn't have too much of a problem with the tram at Snowbird Ski Resort.  I got up at least four times to stretch my legs.  I was able to walk around for about ten minutes each time I got up.  Deanna and I entertained each other by acting as interpreter when ever any announcements were made in Cantonese.  I feel kind of sorry for our traveling companions tomorrow.  They might not find us as hilariously funny as we find ourselves.

We went to a few little shops close to the hotel today.  Today is our day to rest up and adjust to the new time.  I stayed awake all day today with the solemn hope that I will sleep through the night.  For about three hours, Deanna and I did not see one other caucasian.  And if anyone is worried that the Chinese are training up all of the kids to speak English you can put aside your fears.  Very few people we spoke to could understand us.  We resort to gestures of  international understanding.  I just hope I never have to try to get some toilet paper.

We found a noodle house his afternoon and we found that the owner's brother could speak English enough for Deanna to feel comfortable that she wasn't going to get poisoned with MSG.  Keiko was a twenty-five year old semantics student from north of Beijing.  He hopes to study Spanish in Spain and is hoping to get a visa.  I told him I would be his facebook friend, but he said facebook doesn't work in China now.  He is the fourth child in a five child family.  He told us that it is possible for couples to have a lot of kids in China but that it is very expensive.  He ordered for us and all of the food was delicious.  There was a spinach dish with nuts that turned out to be the insides of peach pits.  He said they were a special kind of pit that was not bitter.  We had chicken wings, garlic chicken and a noodle dish with eggs and vegetables.  We provided the entertainment for the entire restaurant by eating noodles with chop sticks.  Yes, people got behind us and moved closer so that they could get a better view.

I will have to post pictures when I get back.  Not all sources on the internet allow blog access.

We saw a group of teens doing a flash dance or maybe just practicing for a flash dance.  We watched them and clapped for them.  We were the only ones to express our appreciation for their efforts.

5 comments:

Megan said...

I am so glad you can blog in China!

Fisher Family said...

Wow what an amazing adventure! How did this trip come about?

Anonymous said...

The chief operations officer from facebook came and gave a forrestal lecture to the brigade of Midshipmen. When we got to the Q&A part, a Chinese student who was here for the Naval Academy Foreign Affairs Conference asked when facebook was going to be allowed in China. She didn't really have an answer though, she had a way of dodging questions.

littlebrother said...

Hello. Now, I am using my own gmail account and not my friend's. Here is my email address: cj8bigwork@gmail.com. Hope to hear from you soon! – Kiko

littlebrother said...

...and thanks to VPN I can finally read your blog :)

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.