Thursday, November 13, 2008

Feast or Famine compared to the Morning Banana Diet

Every year after Halloween Deanna, Megan and I go on a diet. We have developed this over the past few years. We started out eating yogurt, coconut granola, salad with no dressing and maybe some chicken. That was the first year. We can't eat yogurt without gagging and the granola, while yummy, created some pretty severe gastro-intestinal problems, emphasis on the gas. So we have evolved. Now we drink a light and fit yogurt smoothie every morning while eating a banana and a handful of cashews for breakfast. Lunch is a simple low carb meal, like tuna lettuce wraps. We tried pretending to eat dinner the first year by pushing the food back and forth on our plates so no one would notice but some how the food was always miraculously gone. So now we just try to eat another low carb/ low fat meal. We skip dessert and skip snacks. We allow ourselves one feast a week. We call this diet the Feast or Famine Diet. So, when we go to a bunch of holiday parties we have to choose just one a week to eat whatever we want. At the other parties we just hang out at the vegetable tray.

By the time Christmas rolls around we are pretty famished but we generally lose about 5 pounds each for our effort. But the pounds are actually more valuable than meets the eye. Do you realize that most women gain about ten pounds during that same period? If I am down 5 pounds I am actually down 15 pounds because I have to add in my projected weight gain. This is new math at its best.

A lot of people say that they are just going to try to not gain weight during the holidays. I have found that this just doesn't work for me and I haven't really seen anyone else who has been successful with this tactic. For me, during the holidays, if I am not actively losing weight, I am gaining weight.

We were experimenting for the last few weeks trying out the Japanese Morning Banana Diet but we just felt too hungry. The Morning Banana diet is all of the rage in Japan right now. I have read that it is hard to even find bananas in that country. This is the basic diet: eat 1,2 or 3 bananas for breakfast with a glass of tap water. Eat whatever you want for lunch. Eat a 3:00 PM snack. Eat whatever you want for dinner. Don't eat anything after 8:00 PM. The press is that a lot of Japanese people are losing weight, as if they need to lose weight. Sounds easy, but I just can't seem to make it without breaking the diet at about 9:30 AM. On the other hand there is something magical about the morning combination of yogurt, bananas and nuts. I don't seem to get hungry until after 2:00 PM.

One added benefit to the Feast or Famine Diet is that in January when the diet is officially over everyone else is trying to take off ten pounds and no one is tempting us with rich food at every turn. It is like having a 6 week grace period after the diet.

It is not bad to be on a diet this time of year. It gives me an excuse and a reason to plan my holiday eating. I actually talk to people at the parties and when I go home I have self respect. Also it makes me very picky about the time I choose to have the feast. For example, if I am planning a feast and get to the party and the food is gross or just mediocre, I change my feast day.

After explaining the beauty of this plan I have to admit that I really look forward to Christmas every year. I think I may be just as excited as the four year-olds. I finally get to eat carbs! I am not really interested in what is under the tree unless someone would wrap me up a package of rolls with butter.

5 comments:

Megan said...

Yes, thinking of the first year of yogurt and granola during the feast or famine diet makes me want to throw up. I still cannot eat vanilla yogurt 4 years later. It is nice to come away from the holiday season without a 10 pound package on my hips/butt/stomach.

Deanna said...

So far we have Sarah(2)
(That's Sarah squared for the two Sarah's that live here) and myself starting the annual feast or famine diet Monday.
What a great diet! I think we should submit it to Women's World.

Anonymous said...

The Morning Banana Diet recognizes the 9:30 a.m. problem, and allows a snack at that time, or anytime within 30 minutes of eating your bananas. The creator himself ate a rice ball at that time for the first couple of weeks. The key thing is to make sure to eat bananas until you're full but not stuffed with bananas. After a couple of weeks you may find yourself more used to the diet and not need the mid-morning snack. The creator of the diet not only reduced his bananas from four to two, but eliminated the mid-morning snack after a couple of weeks.

Read the first rule here for more:

http://morningbanana.com/morning-banana-diet-rules

Bonnie said...

Interesting that I am getting a comment from a morning Banana diet expert. If any real person has had success or failure on this diet I would love to hear. I stand by Feast or Famine. It works for me. I don't even have to eat a rice ball, though I probably wouldn't turn one away when a carb craving hits.

Fisher Family said...

It sounds like a great idea! I'd like to lose weight over the holidays. I'll have to see if I can get Alyse to do it with me.

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.