Saturday, November 1, 2008

Sarah Palin Visits Far North Dallas and Holds a Mini- Election for Trick Or Treaters On Our Front Porch


I decided to ditch the normal Halloween decorations and breakout the Fourth of July decorations. I filled the slushie machine with red and blue slushies. I dressed up in a red suit and put on a flag pin and flag earrings, put my hair in an updo and greeted my little guests as Sarah Palin.


It was pretty fun! Sarah is very easy to imitate with her Canadian-style accent and catchy colloquialisms. She gives us way too much material.

When the kids came up to the door I shook their hands and introduced myself as Sarah Palin, down from Alaska, campaigning for the McCain-Palin ticket. I then offered them a chance to vote for president by choosing a red slushie for the McCain-PALIN ticket or choosing a blue slushie for Brock Obama. If a kid picked the blue slushie I had to inform him that he would only be getting half of the slushie because I was going to give the other half to poor children whose daddies make a whole lot less money than his daddy makes. I explained that I didn't think the kids got the whole pie analogy because kids don't really like pie, but they like slushies so maybe they could understand what this election is all about.

At this point most of the kids changed their minds and decided they really wanted a red slushie. Of course, several kids stuck to their guns and said they didn't care if they were only getting half a slushie, they were voting for Brock. I didn't make any kids cry but there were a lot of conflicted kids. What should you do if you really like blue slushies but you want McCain to win? Most kids bit the bullet and got the color of their favorite candidate. Well, isn't that the way it goes in politics? I guess this is good training for the future for all of these pre-adults.

Some parents apologized for their kids if they choose a color of slushie not in keeping with the family political philosophy. These kids were usually pretty young and either couldn't read, or just didn't care. They were just choosing the most delicious slushie. The parents usually enjoyed the show. The Dems thought that I was making a joke of Sarah Palin's stupidity. I got corrected for misspelling Brock's name. I had to claim innocence, "You mean he's not an American?" The Republicans thought I was putting the whole thing in terms so simple that even a child could understand. I haven't heard any complaints and my house did not get egged last night so I don't think I offended anyone.

I think CNN and all of the other political pollsters have it wrong. According to my very scientific and accurate poll, the McCain-Palin ticket is going to kick-butt on Tuesday. As proof, I have a whole freezer full of blue slushies that I could not even give away.

8 comments:

Chris said...

But you live in Texas . . . Not exactly a key battleground state for Obama. You should have flown to Virginia and set up your slushy machine.

Fisher Family said...

Cute picture of Joey! We needed to see one of you as well. I loved your Halloween decorations and the clever McCain-Obama slushies! Fun times!

Melanie said...

Awesome.

Bonnie said...

I just want to clarify the type of turn-out we have every Halloween. We always have about 40% caucasion kids, about 40% hispanic kids and about 20% black kids. A rare Asian or Pacific Islander may pop up. This represents the racial makeup of the community. I was surprised that the hipanic vote was heavily McCain-Palin. This population set, if they turn out to vote, may surprise everyone!

Fisher Family said...

Thanks for putting up the pics of you! You make a cute Sarah Palin.

Bonnie said...

Thanks Linda. As the family photographer I don't always get on the other side of the lens. These pics were taken by Joe. He did a pretty good job. The Palin character is all about the accent andt he funny sayings and phrases. I didn't get anything on video but I think I could take over for Tina Fay if there is ever a national need.

Deanna said...

I'm glad your house didn't get egged. I was worried about that. Everyone here loves your pictures.

nitwhitz said...

Wellllll...I'd be MORE than happy to take all of those BLUE slushies off your hands any time, Bonnie (though on 2nd though, Mark would probably choke on the BLUE, so better make his a very watered-down red one)...ha! I bet if you'd shown up at Grant Park the other nite w/ your slushie machine, you'd have made a mint -- especially dressed as the now "late" Sarah Palin! OH...and I have my granny's gold flag pin right here in my drawer...colored rhinestones & all! Well, fortunately I make it a habit of NEVER discussing politics w/ friends (at least those I'd like to keep) -- so hopefully we can still be "buds". :) Lunch soon? Laurie

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.