Monday, September 21, 2009

But That's Not What My Teacher Said!

I have been tutoring Joe in 6th grade math.  It seems like the 6th grade math curriculum is an excersise in pre-algebra.  That is okay.  I can understand any sixth grade math thrown Joe's way.  I think my only problem is that I give more than what is required.  For example,  Joe was given a set of numbers and the question was to come up with a rule to find the next number.  This was the series:  13, 21, 29, 37...  It is pretty easy to see that the number increases by 8 each time.  But where did the 13 come from?  Of course I will ask that question.  I made the formula

5+n(8)    n=the number in the series...13 is the 1st number, 21 is the 2nd number...

because that was the algebraic expression of the number series.  Pretty simple, right?  Then I discovered that the teacher was assigning problems that had the answer in the back of the book so I checked out the answer that I, I mean Joe was supposed to come up with.  The answer was

add 8.

I looked at the question again.  You know, the book never asked for an algebraic expression to explain the sequence.  The questions was what do you do to get the next number in the series?  Using the newly discovered key, I corrected Joe's math assignment very quickly and had him make the needed changes.   Joe was pretty mad that I had looked at the answers.  He told me that was cheating.  I say it is smart.  It is not as if Joe hadn't done the work.  This was a chance for him to put his answers in the proper format so that he can get full credit for the work he has done.  Obviously, she is assigning the problems that have the answers in the back.  She wants someone to check them out.  I guess that someone will be me.   At least I will know when I am on the right track.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I liked it when the teacher assigned the questions with the answers in the back.. of course I always tried to get it on my own first... but the answers certainly helped...

Megan said...

That is too funny that Joe got mad at you for "cheating." I would have never done anything like that.

Deanna said...

Joe, if they didn't want you to look at the answers they wouldn't put them in the back of the book. (I am talking to Joe C. here-- he has the same problem with looking in the back of the book)

Fisher Family said...

I always like it when the answers are in the back. Then you can check and see if you did it right.

Anonymous said...

Even my professors here tend to give us the problems with the answers in the back. Mom, why do we get mad at you when you defy our teachers' authority? I think elementary schools should do a little more to encourage independent thinking, rather than base everything on what the teacher wants to grade. I now feel inspired to write a blog about a time when you went against my teacher's authority.

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.