Friday, September 25, 2009

Cattle Rancher's Daughter

Just one really big question, if vegetarians don't like meat,why are they always trying to make beans and vegetables taste like hamburgers?

As a cattle rancher's daughter I don't get why anyone wouldn't want to eat meat.  It is not as if cattle are any smarter than fish.  When we first started to build my father's herd I remember coming up with cute names for some of them. Who can resist a calf named Buttercup?  My father renamed our new found pets names like Dinner, T-bone, or Stewie.  My father told me, just as his cattle rancher and dairy farmer father told him, "If you want something to love on, go find a boyfriend or a girlfriend."  I learned very quickly the heirarchy of the food chain.  It is good to be on top.

Cattle exist in the numbers they do because we allow them to exist.  We guard them from wolves.  We grow hay so that they will have food.  We build ponds where there were none so that they will have water to drink.  We keep them worm free so that they will be healthy.  We provide male companionship so that they can breed and continue the species.  We buy dried corn to feed them to make their meat sweet tasting.  Then we sell some of the herd to the packers and the process continues.


I love beef stew, spagehetti with meat sauce, beef tacos and brisket sandwiches without guilt!  I have several leather purses, a really nice black leather jacket, and way too many pairs of leather shoes.  I even have leather seats in my car.  All of this, thanks to cattle ranchers like my father who know how to raise a really useful crop. 

5 comments:

Deanna said...

I love the question you asked at the beginning of your blog post. It is true that all the veggie burgers and even turkey burgers try to taste like beef.

Fisher Family said...

It's true everyone wants that beef taste! I have no problem enjoying beef either! Loved the picture of Megan and Chris on one of the cows in towndown Dallas. It brought back memories.

Megan said...

I think that is funny that you named a cow Buttercup. I remember Grandpa getting mad at Jeff and me when we would chase the cows with the 4 wheeler. I am glad for cattle ranchers like grandpa because I cannot imagine life without a briskit sandwich.

Chris said...

Amen. Amen. Amen. What I don't understand about veggers is the hypocrisy. They don't kill cows, but they have no problem killing bugs to protect their organic broccoli (with a nature-friendly pesticide of course) . Who are they to play God and take the life of an aphid?

Melanie said...

I love beef too!

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.