Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Eleven Pretzels

Today is Joe's eleventh birthday. I started a tradition when Joe was in Kindergarten of making soft pretzels in the shape of his age. When he was six I made pretzels in the shape of the number six to take to school instead of the traditional cupcakes. When he was in first grade I made the pretzels in the shape of the number seven. You get the picture. Today was the easiest birthday of all. What could be easier than 11, two pretzel sticks?

Here is the recipe

1Pkg yeast
1/4 C sugar
2 T Brown Sugar
1 1/2 cup warm water(pretty warm but not hot. You can put your finger in it but you would say the water was very warm)
1t salt
4 C flour
1 T Butter

Put all of the ingredients except 2 C of flour into a bowl or in your kitchen-aid.

Using the beater attachment beat for about five minutes.

Remove the beater attachment and put on the dough hook, unless you are going to finish up by hand kneading. Add the two remaining cups of flour and knead for 5 minutes by machine or hand knead for 8 minutes.

Let the dough rise until doubled.

Put 2 T baking powder in a large pot with 2 C water. Bring to a boil and then let cool while you are working on the dough.

Punch down the dough. Divide into 12 parts for shaped pretzels or 24 pieces for pretzel rods. Flour your hands and roll the dough between your hands until it is about as thin as a pencil. Shape the pretzels or leave them in rods. Dip in the soda solution. Sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake on a pan you have sprayed with Pam for 8 minutes at 375 degrees.

Brush with butter and serve with cheese sauce.(melted Velveeta thinned with water)

Joe is a pretty popular guy at school. It isn't because he can run fast or catch a ball. He has a mom who makes birthday pretzels.

3 comments:

Fisher Family said...

What a fun tradition! Tell Joe happy birthday! Thanks for picking Alyse up from the airport and letting her stay. She is so excited about her trip.

Deanna said...

Happy Birthday Joe! You are a lucky to boy to have such a cool mom.

nitwhitz said...

THANKS for the yummy pretzels, Bonnie (& Alyse). They were deeeeeeee-lish! I think I might even attempt to make them on my own, though the "hand kneading" does NOT sound like much fun to me.

And, for the record...I think Joey AND his mom are BOTH pretty cool! ;)

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.