Sunday, May 3, 2009

Joe's Baptism and the Ironic Priesthood

Today Joe gave a talk in primary. It was a sweet little talk about the day he was baptized.


My Baptism

Almost three years ago I was baptized right here in this building. I have been going to church and Primary since I was born. I knew I wanted to be baptized because I wanted to follow the example of Jesus. He taught that we must all be baptized to show obedience so that we can live with him again and become members of his church.

I had an interview with Bishop Thorsen. We talked what happened when Jesus was baptized. We talked about why I wanted to be baptized. I felt happy and special. I knew that I was ready to be baptized and to receive the Holy Ghost.

On the day that I was baptized we went into the chapel. There was a talk on baptism. My brother John sang the song Baptism. My Brother John baptized me. He was a priest in the Aaronic priesthood. Did you know that a priest in the Aaronic priesthood could baptize? I was glad that he could do this for me because I love him so much.

When we got back to the chapel my dad gave a talk on the gift of the Holy Ghost. He showed us a gift he got when he was a boy. It was a GI Joe without a head or arms. He talked about how most gifts you get can break and wear out but the gift of the Holy Ghost isn’t like that. As long as I am righteous I will be able to have the gift of the Holy Ghost everyday of my life.

My Dad then gave me a special priesthood blessing and gave me the gift of the Holy Ghost and he confirmed me a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints.

I remember that Erin and I sang the song I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I was a little bit nervous but I was so happy because I really was a member of the church! I was happy for myself. I know my parents were proud of me. I know that Heavenly Father was happy that I was baptized. This made the words of the song so important.

I belong to the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
I know who I am
I know God’s plan
I’ll follow him in Faith
I believe in the Savior Jesus Christ
I’ll honor his name
I’ll do what is right
I’ll follow his light
His truth I will proclaim!

I remember that we had a chocolate fountain for refreshments that day and it was really fun but the most important thing about the day was my baptism and confirmation. I hope all of you little kids can get ready for your big day when you turn 8. You will always remember it.



We knew about this talk earlier in the week but we only remembered when we were out shopping or doing errands. This morning we got up and luckily I remembered, so I had Joe give me the memories of his baptism before we got ready for church. I typed up the talk, then printed it out while I was getting dressed and fixing my hair and makeup. I had Joe practice with out me while I was finishing getting ready. We were running late at this point. Fortunately, Brother Adair was giving his new baby daughter a lengthy name and blessing so we were able to slip in before the sacrament.

So, I never actually heard Joe practice his talk. He got up and did a good job. Almost eleven-year-olds can seem so grown up in Primary. But then I heard it, the ironic priesthood. I thought I must be mistaken, but then he said it one more time. That was when I knew that we had missed something while teaching Joe the gospel. It seems like with the first few children that parents cover all of the bases, but then we forget who we have taught what, and we kind of get tired of the kids getting tired of hearing the same things over and over again. "Mom, I know that already!" That is my excuse. Maybe I have early onset Alzhiemers and didn't cover the needed topics.

During dinner tonight I brought up the subject. He saw the word in the talk and had heard it before, but never said it himself nor had he used it in a sentence, so when he came across the word in the talk he just kind of pronounced a word he had also heard somewhere. I explained the priesthood of Aaron, Moses' brother versus Irony, a literary device. I used irony in an example. Wasn't it ironic that I thought the West Nile Hype was a ridiculous media ploy and I ended up being hospitalized for West Nile? Well, I am not sure he understands irony, but he knows about the origin of the Aaronic Priesthood.

3 comments:

Deanna said...

Good job on your talk Joe. The Ironic priesthood is pretty cute! I remember one of my kids calling the Relief Society the "Release Society"--she thought that it was where the ladies went when they were released from callings.

Fisher Family said...

Sounds like Joe gave a good talk. Ironic-too funny. I think all my kids at one time or another have surpized me with something I was sure they knew that they didn't. For example when April was 8 a friend told her he was giving a talk in Primary on Nephi and she said "Who's Nephi?" It blew me a way.

Karen S. said...

I was trying hard not to laugh when I heard him say it. =)

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.