Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Don't say the T word in front of a bunch of Cub Scouts

Today I went out to Breckenridge park to help chaperone the Bear Cub Scouts at twilight camp. They are such cute and fun boys. We started getting calls from other parents who were at home watching the news that a huge thunderstorm was heading our way. I got my group of cubs in the mini van and started going home but the weather worsened. I think almost every cub's parent called me at least twice on my way home as I was driving through increasingly tornadic weather. I finally had to just tell them that I was going to find a safe place to pull over and let the storm pass but I had to stop talking on the phone and concentrate on the road. As I put the phone down I came across the first downed tree. The boys started freaking out a little but I told them it wasn't allowed. I told them to stop talking about a tornado because there wasn't going to be a tornado, hail maybe, but no tornado. Then we drove around about three more large downed trees before I headed south on the 75 frontage road. I was kind of grateful to be getting back to civilization, but then I had to drive around two more downed trees. I had made up my mind not to go on the freeway because I heard from the parents that there were several 18 wheelers that had been blown over in the storm. At this point the sky was looking less green but the rain started coming down so hard that I could hardly see all of the trees I was needing to avoid. I pulled into McDonald's on Campbell and 75. I bought all of the boys an ice cream cone. At this point the boys decided that this was about as much fun as they had ever had. They ate their cones, played on the play land, and called parents. I waited about 15 minutes to let the major rain pass. When we went back out to the car it was pretty amazing how much more calm the weather was. I dropped each boy off at home to grateful parents.

The good thing about the storm is that I am not going to have to water dry spots in the lawn for 3 or 4 days. I am probably not going to have to go to Twilight Camp tomorrow to fill in for parents taking their sons to baseball games. It will be at least 3 days before the fields dry out enough for play.

2 comments:

Fisher Family said...

Wow you had a scary drive home! Glad you made it safely. We had a Texas like storm here today. Gallons of rain and lots of hail.

Deanna said...

Don't you love the play land! It can turn a bad day into a good day in a matter of minutes!

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.