Saturday, January 30, 2010

How Long Until This Blows Over?

I was watching Saturday Night Live tonight and noticed a commercial featuring swimming's wonder boy Michael Phelps pitching Subway. It was just about a year ago that pictures of him smoking a bong were posted all over the press. He lost his endorsements and was suspended from competition. It was very big news at the time. But now he is back. I actually like the commercial. He dives into a pool, swims through the edge of the pool, continues swimming through the street and up to a Subway shop.

He is a phenomenal swimmer. Do I think that his pot smoking was wise? No. Do I think he should have been crucified for it? No.

Has anyone noticed how much less press Tiger Woods is getting since the John Edwards' love child story broke? The moral of this story is that it all blows over, that people forget, that you are only big news until the next story comes in, and that when two or three scandals pass, you are back to where you started. You just wonder how truly morally outraged everyone is. Who is next? I am not going to guess, but I guarantee we will be shocked and appalled. I wouldn't be surprised to see President Edwards giving the State of the Union address in a few years.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.