Monday, January 18, 2010

Joe's MLK Speech

I gave Joe a choice for his MLK speech.  He could either try to imitate MLK and repeat his words or he could make a speech about MLK and write the speech himself.  He has decided it would be better to put it into his own words instead of imitating MLK. 

I am glad that MLK worked on getting better civil rights for African American people.  I am trying to imagine that Asia, Kameron, Faith, Michael, and Jaylon would have to drink at a different drinking fountain than the rest of the class.  But the other point is they might not be able to go to the same school as me.  Football at recess would not be as good because all of these friends, except for Faith, are really good at football.  Faith plays soccer and hangs out with her friends.  Asia is a girl and is one of the best at football.  She is really big and tall.  It is fourth down, she intercepts in the end zone about every game and runs it back for a touch down.  It looks like she is about to get two-touched, but she never does.  Kameron is really good at throwing.  Michael is very good at catching and so is Jaylon.  I am always glad when they get picked to be on the same team as me, especially Asia.  The only problem I have with Kameron is that he likes the Pats. 


I wonder if MLK was good at playing football?  Even if he wasn't, he might be good at playing football video games.  But he died a long time before video games.


Civil rights are the right to play football with whoever is good at football. 

After Joe wrote this speech he wanted to change it to be more about civil rights.  But when I asked him to expound on Civil Rights,  he had no thoughts or ideas.  I think that is because he has never experienced a society where a group of people were denied rights.  This little speech might be one fulfillment of MLK's dream,  where men are not judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their ability to play football.

I told Joe to get dressed and he started to put on his church shirt.  I guess he really thought that he was going to have to enter the speech contest.  He is a good kid.  When I told him he really did not have to give his speech in public he was so relieved that he started attacking me. " Never do that again!" 

The funny thing is I will be able to do the same thing next year!  I don't know why my family can't remember the lessons of MLK day from year to year.

5 comments:

Fisher Family said...

Joe wrote a good speech! It is too funny that your kids believe you every year and don't remember from the year before.

Chris said...

I fell for Megan's trick once. I won't fall for that again. This is one family member who has learned his lesson.

Deanna said...

Joe's speech is great. He sounds like a 6th grade jock! I will try to get my Joe to work on his speech, but I know I won't be able to trick him into changing into church clothes to give it.

Anonymous said...

I have a dream! That white people and black people..... and even Chinese people can gamble together without gettin different chips!

Melanie said...

That is REALLY funny that you 'trick' the kids into writing speeches. Awesome.

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.