Thursday, April 1, 2010

This is Knee-t

Most people would agree that I am pretty traditional when it comes to medical care.  I am not into anything weird.  I actually roll my eyes when people start talking about going to a chiropracter and I am openly antagonistic toward, and challenge those who promote any new-age remedies. 

So when I came home from skiing with a messed up left knee I was preparing for the worst.  I had actually injured my right knee about 13 years ago doing the same thing, falling while skiing.  I remember thirteen years ago after limping around with a knee brace for about a month I finally went to a doctor.  We were on the Kaiser Permanente program then so I went in to see what ever doctor was available.  It was some new doctor from India.  I could hardly understand him.  I think we communicated through gestures.  He prescribed some steroids for my knee.  I was thinking he was crazy.  Like a pill would do the trick...Then my knee got better.  Of course I gained thirty pounds,  but at least I didn't limp when I was waddling around.  I had a minicus tear.  I haven't really had problems with it since but I have always been nervous about reinjuring it so I kind of always protected it when I would ski.  I guess that is how I injured my left knee.

I really didn't want to go on another steroid and gain thirty pounds.  I have had way too many weight issues to even think about going down that path again.  But I knew the other alternative for someone of my advanced age was going to be surgery.  That did not seem like a very good option either.  I bought three knee braces to try to find the one to give me the best support.  I was taking a lot of ibuprofin to combat the pain and swelling.  I had been in pain for about ten days when I was talking with  a friend last Friday.  The pain and the popping in my knee were getting so bad that I did not think I could wait much longer before I went to a doctor.   She told me about a method her daughter had taught her to end some pain and swelling in her knee while  she was on vacation  a couple of years ago.  She had wrenched her knee so badly she could not walk. 

I tried the method and within three days my knee was totally pain free. I was off iburofin and had taken off the knee brace.  I actually went on a two mile walk with a friend of mine yesterday.  This is what I did.  I put one hand on my knee where it was hurting, applying a little pressure with my finger tips.  I took the other hand and patted the top of my head while I was inhaling.  I then patted my upper chest while exhaling in a pattern.  I repeated this process about 5 or 6 times, about 5 or 6 times during the day for about 3 days.  each day I got progressively better.  I didn't chant any magic words.  As a matter of fact I was probably thinking to myself on the first day," I look really dumb, I am sure this isn't going to work."  So no one can call this faith healing.  My other thought was, " Am I so proud that I can't give this a try?  It is not costing me anything except my pride." 

I have asked some of my friends with  medical backgrounds why this would work.  The conclusion was it must be something similar to accupuncture, but with out the needles.  I would love to know how this really works.  Now if I can do something about the shin splints I am getting from walking so much.

6 comments:

Deanna said...

I don't think that this method works the same by a hurt tail bone. I will keep trying it and hopefully it will work soon.

Karen S. said...

I can't quite understand it. Would you mind posting a video of you doing it? For demostration purposes of course. =)

Megan said...

I am glad it worked. When my knee pain comes back, I will be sure to give it a try.

Fisher Family said...

That is so great that it worked for you!

nitwhitz said...

Claire's been having on and off knee problems after some of her dance classes...perhaps you can come over and demonstrate it for us next time she has the problem. I will have the video camera all ready to go (and then we upload it to youtube...whaddya say??) :)

Arizona Arnolds said...

I think it is great you found a solution for under $20 co-pay and no meds!

Not that I have been fantastic about posting on my blog, but I had to go private due to creepy users & wanted to let you know. You can email me & I will add you on. (Once again, not that I post alot!)
jmkarnold@cox.net

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.