Monday, July 21, 2008

"Sticks and Stones, Love"

I just got back from a 4 day trip to help out with my mother who lives in Arkansas. She was recently put on hospice. She has a variety of health problems and has been knocking on Death's door for five years now. She has very little strength and I know my father is worn out from constant care. Well, the thing is, she only really wants him to help her out. Every time I would take a turn at trying to move her off or on the potty she would cry and yell for Daddy. This morning I was helping her and she started hollering that I had hurt her leg. I was really trying to be careful but this movement is awkward for a novice to nursing. When Deanna called to talk to her this morning I could not believe the conversation. "Blah jas dri cha(she is so weak that you just can not understand a word she is saying) twutr, BONNIE BROKE MY LEG LAST NIGHT, pon glut hurm...

Wow. We just could not slur that sentence.

In my defense, this knee had been previously injured and she was recovering. I think it is easier to re-injure than to initially injure. I think the hospice nurse gave her an extra painkiller today after I left.

But now that I will be remembered in the annals of family history as the daughter who broke her mother's leg. I better take advantage of this. Does anyone need someone taken care of? I'm the one. And just to warn all three of you out there who read my blog, I may not be the safest person to cross. You had better be careful around me.

2 comments:

nitwhitz said...

GREAT! My parents ain't gettin' any younger, ya' know! Good to know there's help there when I need it! :) Laurie

Deanna said...

That did perk up the conversation with Mama, but you have to remember I was the one that put her in the hospital in December.

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.