Monday, February 9, 2009

I Found my Thrill on Blueberry Hill

On Saturday I went to little Walmart to do my pre-sabbath shopping. I saw some wonderful looking blueberries for $2.49 for a pint. I thought of how much Bob likes blueberries and how we like to put fresh berries on top of sugar-free vanilla pudding as a guilt-free pleasure. I bought the berries and put them in my big fruit bowl that I keep on the kitchen island. They sat there safe and secure all day yesterday but this morning I guess Bob could not resist anymore so he popped the container open and ate a few for breakfast. Because they were open, I decided that I too should try a sample. By 5:00 PM all of the blueberries were gone! I am not quite sure what happened to them. I could swear that I only had a few each time I passed the island. They were so good. They were very sweet and had the full blueberry flavor with out that too-tart flavor you can get sometime. It was kind of like God had come up with the perfect little treat and they aren't even fattening! I had to go back to little Walmart and buy a new container so that we could top off the tapioca I had made for dessert. Bob noticed the new container and Bob and Joe tried to prevent me from eating anymore because they claimed I had already eaten more than my share. I just had to tell them how high blueberries are in antioxidants and that I was just trying to do my part to prevent cancer. Bob hid the blueberries, much like I have to hide candy from Joe.

I also have self-control issues when it comes to fresh peaches from my trees, fresh apricots from Deanna's trees, fresh citrus from Chris's trees, and fresh cherries from any tree.

4 comments:

Fisher Family said...

I eat blueberries every day on my cereal. I justify the cost of them because they are so good for you!

Megan said...

You should go to little Wal-mart and buy a pint just for yourself. Eat them all and then show the empty carton to Joe and dad. They will be jealous and not be able to hide them from you!

Deanna said...

I remember the time when we had little self control on some cherries. It was hard for everyone to believe how two teenage girls could eat almost a whole case of cherries in one day.
My motto: Eat as many cherries as you can and suffer the consequences later--cherries are worth it. I would say that frustrating Bob and Joe is worth it.

Melanie said...

Zoe and I can easily eat a pint of blueberries a day too. Mike doesn't really like them...too bad for him.

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.