Thursday, February 12, 2009

This Is A Decision You Should Make Only Once

Last night when we were eating dinner Joe told us that when he went to choir practice after school he noticed that someone had a strong body odor problem. He was trying to determine which of the 5th or 6th graders was the offender when he realized it was him. "I didn't put on deodorant because I didn't think it was going to be warm, so I didn't think I would need it," he told us.

Bob, not willing to let a teaching opportunity pass said, "You know,I don't have to decide everyday whether I should wear deodorant. I made that decision a long time ago and I just wear deodorant everyday."

I thought this was pretty funny because this is the usual sermon that goes with the Word of Wisdom. The line is, "I don't have to decide from situation to situation whether I will drink, smoke, or use illegal drugs. I have already made the decision that I will not use those substances under any circumstances."

This morning when I reminded Joe to brush his teeth, comb his hair and put on deodorant he really did them. I can't say that he has made the decision to do these things on his own. He will learn by sad experience if he forgets again. I will continue to remind him, but I refuse to do the sniff test.

4 comments:

Deanna said...

I have found that a sniff test isn't required. Some "Joes" can just walk into a room and you know right away if they made the right decision that morning.

Megan said...

Deodorant is a must have in any state, but y'all live in Texas. It is as necessary as water in the desert. I am glad that dad made that decision long ago.

Chris said...

Well, at least Joey figured it out. That is progress. I think he needs a rule to stay disciplined: If you don't put deodorant on in the morning, then you have to rub a days worth of it onto whatever you have for dinner.

Bonnie said...

That sounds like a good idea on the blog, but how will it sound when plastered on the front pages of the metro section of the paper, or to a CPS investigator? Or better yet, how will it sound on Oprah in 20 years when Joe has had time to think about his cruel and unusual punishment. I think I will let his peers castigate him if he forgets. That way I won't have to take the blame for his messed up life.

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.