Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Recessionista's Guide to Value Valentine Cookies

 
Posted by Picasa


Today while I was cleaning the kitchen, well, maybe that is a stretch. Today while I was clearing a space off of my kitchen counter so that I could make dinner, I found an unopened tin of Christmas butter cookies. I only had a Target popcorn and diet coke combo for lunch so I was pretty hungry. I opened the can and ate a cookie. It was wonderful. I don't think I ate one butter cookie over the Christmas holiday. I was about to eat a few more to make up for my Christmas deprivation when that little voice kicked in, "Hey, instead of eating all of these cookies, why don't you frost them and decorate them with Valentine sprinkles and take them to Cub scouts tonight." That is a great idea I thought. I had powdered sugar, butter, milk, and vanilla on hand. I had Valentine sprinkles that I bought after season last year at Target for 90% off, so I was prepared. I wondered how many I could eat and still have enough for all of the cubs. We have 20 cubs in the pack. I counted that I had 19 cookies left. Darn! It is February, and I can be almost certain that at least one Cub has the flu. That ended the binge. I know that even if 3 or 4 Cubs have the flu tonight, and that is a few too many to hope for, I will not get another cookie. We have a bunch of hungry male den leaders who will eat what the boys do not. I am begrudgingly grateful that I was prevented from going hog-wild over something so dumb as out of date cookies.

4 comments:

Deanna said...

You have a lot of self control Bonnie-- You only ate one 2 month old cookie!I loved how you frosted them and made them look homemade!I am sure that everyone will be impressed with this delicious treat.

Megan said...

Recessionista- what a great word.

Melanie said...

Those look REALLY good.

Fisher Family said...

What yummy looking cookies! You do have a lot of self control!

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.