Thursday, February 11, 2010

Last Valentine

Today Joe celebrated Valentine's day for the last time as a kid.  This was his 6th grade party. 

Last night he addressed Valentines to all of his class mates.  The boys got football Valentines and the girls go kitty and puppy Valentines, except Asia, she got a football Valentine.  He was really funny because he did not want to address the girls cards because he thought that they might think he like-liked them.  Of course I made him address them.  What is the purpose of a mother anyway? 

For a few weeks the boys in Joe's class planned to go to school today dressed as nerds.  I am not sure why anyone would want to go to school dressed as a nerd  for the Valentine's party,  but the result was that the girls had to regret giving any of those boys the special Valentine card.  Joe and his friends all wore white tshirts, too-short levis pulled up and  belted at the chest, tall white socks, greased back hair parted on the side and combed in a ducktail in the back.

The moms put together a really fun party.  We started with a hip-hop lesson taught by an Eaglette.  The girls loved this and a few of the boys loved this (maybe too much).  Next the kids had refreshments of chocolate fountains with all of the dippers you can imagine and nachos.  It was really funny to see the nerdy boys get chocolate all over their white shirts and faces  Next came Karaoke.  The girls sang Single Ladies-Put a ring on it .  The boys sang Love Story while all of the girls performed as back-up dancers.  The Pruski's put together a disco cut-out so that the kids could stick their heads through and get their pictures taken.  The moms and dads spent way too much time at the chocolate fountains.  I am included in this group. 

What a party!  I wouldn't have missed it for anything.  I know this is the last year that it will be cool for the boys to all be nerds together.  It is the last year that Joe and the other 6th graders will hunt for the hidden meanings in the goofy little Valentine cards they have sent to each other.  And, yes, Joe found what he thought was a secret message from one of the girls saying that she thinks he is cute.  He couldn't be happier.  But if you asked him about it I doubt that he would give you the strait answer.

3 comments:

Deanna said...

What a fun party! I think Valentine's Day was made for elementary school kids. I always loved the Valentine parties when I was teaching 5th grade. I always had karaoke, it was always a big hit.

Fisher Family said...

It sounds like everyone had a really fun time! What a fun Valentines party.

Megan said...

How cute. I am sure that the girl he gave the kitty cat valentine to that said "You are purrrrrfect" thought that Joe was sending a message too.

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.