Saturday, February 13, 2010

Those Canaan Days



Joe and two other students from Spring Creek were able to be in the RHS production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.   They were part of the children's choir. 

 

This is the group of 6th graders who performed.  They did a really good job along with the rest of the cast. 


One really fun part for Joe was making new friends from other schools.  This kids was so fun.  He is the kind of kid everyone likes because he is so friendly. 


My friend Laurie took this picture of Joe while he was singing in the show.  This is the part where Joseph is in prison.  The children were holding little candles while singing encouraging words.


Science Fair Grand Prize Winner


Take a good look because this is the Joe's last science fair entry.  I have it from a good source that projects are not required in Jr. High, and if they are not required we are not doing them  The project was based on a structural engineering question.  Which is the strongest shape for a pylon: a cylinder, a hectagonal prism, a rectangular prism, or a triangular prism?   We made the shapes from ordinary copier paper and tape.  The conclusion was that the cylinder is the strongest, followed by the hectagonal prism, followed by the rectangular prism, followed by the triangular prism.  Every angle strengthens the pylon.  A cylinder has an infinite amount of angles, but the definition is 360 angles.  Imagine that every angle is a strong man helping to hold up something over his head.  The more men, or angles, the more they can hold up.



We put this picture on the project of a bunch of plebes from the Naval Academy lifting a log during Sea Trials to illustrate.

Joe gets to go on to the regional science fair!  Okay, he really isn't very excited about this either.  As a matter of fact, he was pretty upset when he found out that his project won because that means that it is not over.  And when you finish doing the Science Fair, you are really grateful that it is over.  

Speaking of dissappointing experiments, who else is disappointed by Target's...

Big Bomb

Every year after Christmas for the last 5 or 6 years Target has put out a merchandise movement that it called Global Bazaar.  It was a fun, eclectic collection of home decor and furnishings from all over the world.  The movement only lasted a couple of months and was cleared out to make room for the spring and summer garden and patio merchandise.  I just loved going to Target and seeing what they had.  Much of my home is filled with Global Bazaar purchases and this was where I got a lot of the wedding and shower gifts I would give during the year.  But this year, because of the bad economy, Target decided not to take a chance with  the good stuff.  They filled the Global Bazaar aisles with super sized Sams/Costco packs of various things.  How fun!  When I went to Target today because Joe asked if he could go play the video games while we were shopping I realized I had not been in there in over a month.  That must be a record for me.  Word to the wise...If you want people to come into your stores it would be a great idea if you had exciting merchandise.  The more I go to the store the more incidental spending I do.  I am sure that I am not the only one.  So Target might blame the bad economy on decreased sales during January and February, but really it is poor merchandising decisions that have kept shoppers away.

 

4 comments:

Megan said...

Joe did a great job on his Science Fair board! His writing is so similar to yours.

I agree with your Target assertion. The warehouse event was horrible. When I go to Target, I always skip that section, unless Chris and I decide to make fun of how dumb that the section is.

Deanna said...

Joe looked so cute singing! Also congratulations on a great science fair project.

I haven't been to Target lately either. Who wants to go to Target to get warehouse items? I really hope they go back to the global bazaar next year.

Fisher Family said...

Wow Joe and you have been busy! The Joseph play looked really fun. Good job Joe! Congratulations on your science project, that is really great! I ended up winning at the state level one year in Jr. High. It turned out to be a really fun experience. Everyone thought I was really smart after that.

Anonymous said...

Now Joey can have a leading role in the RHS musical when he's there, right?

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.