Friday, December 4, 2009

Joe's Pushy Mom

We have a winner!  I forced Joe to write a poem this year for the Arts In Education Reflections program for PTA.  He did not want to do it, but I told him that I had promised my friend Debbie, the Arts In Education Chair, that he would be submitting a poem.  There were tears.  There were accusations that I was forcing him to do something he could not do.  There was a shouting match.  There was a brainstorming session.  There was instruction on how to make simple phrases sound pretty.  There was a tutorial on how to make a rhyming scheme.  There was another shouting match about how long the poem should be .  Four lines just wasn't going to cut it.  And then finally there was a poem!

Beauty Is... was the theme.  Joe decided that the most beautiful things he has ever seen, he has seen in nature.  He decided to think back on his camping trip to the Olympic National Park to come up with inspiration for the beautiful sights he saw in nature.  Here is his poem:

Beauty Is Natural


Beauty is found on a lake at night


Moonlight shimmers both soft and bright.



Beauty is found in a forest deep


Trees making homes that the animals keep.



Beauty is found on a mountain so high


Snowy caps reaching ever up to the sky.



Beauty is found in a flowering glade


Where blossoms find sunshine outside of  the shade.



Beauty is found in Nature so dear


Making life better and giving me cheer.


I am happy to announce that Joe's poem won Judge's Choice at the school and district level and will now be going to state!  But more important to me is that Joe now knows he can write poetry.  I have to admit I love poetry.  I think it is a powerful way to use words to bring feelings and thoughts to the surface.


I know that I will not be able to influence Joe to do all of the things I think are good for him for very much longer. My older kids have taught me that.  But for now, Congrats to Joe!

5 comments:

Fisher Family said...

What a beautiful poem! Congratulations Joe!

Unknown said...

Congrats to Joe. I love poetry, and that one really is beautiful!!

Megan said...

You coercive behavior sounds like the Naval academy cadre to me. Congrats to Joe.

Deanna said...

It is hard to believe that a sixth grade boy--
Would write a poem and feel nothing but joy!

Congratulations to Joe for winning the prize--
As I read through the poem, I could hardly believe my eyes.

The words on the page, what a wonderful sight,
An accomplishment such as this was well worth the fight.

Anonymous said...

I think Joey's poetry skills surpass mine. That was way better than the Godzilla poem I wrote when I was in elementary school.

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.