Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A Bad Day for D-4

I got in the car this afternoon to go out to the hardware store to buy some bolts to repair Joe's roller blades. Just when I started up the car I got a call from my friend Tammy Glatz asking me to watch Curt while she took her daughter to the hospital so that she could see her boyfriend. He had been injured in a terrible accident earlier that day on his way home from the hangout date that lasted until 2 in the morning after institute. Donald had been a missionary in Dallas 6 or 7 years ago and had come back to Dallas to live. He is currently a member of D-1. He was driving down the tollway when a rogue vehicle going 80 miles per hour and going the wrong way hit his car. The wrong way driver had been killed instantly. Tammy and her family were grateful that Donald was going to live, that he didn't have brain damage and that he was going to get to keep his legs, because all of those things were questionable during the course of the day.

I took Curt and Joe to scouts and when I got there I was talking to Bishop Chuck Johnson who told me about a terrible accident that had occurred on the tollway, and how Dorian Carter had died in the accident. I told him the other side of the story. We were amazed that two people who never met would have common ties. Dorian grew up in the Dallas fourth ward and so we have all known him for years. I have no idea why he would go the wrong way on the tollway. I am sure there is no good reason or explanation. I am just sorry for his mother. This is a hard pill to swallow for a mom. It is going to take a lot of prayer and service from others to help her through. I feel sorry for his baby daughter who will not grow up with her dad in her life. It's a sad day.

Everyone in the D-4 who knows Max Skembo is praying for him. He got in a terrible motorcycle accident Saturday morning and is in a Phoenix area hospital in really bad shape. Max also grew up in D-4. If you want to keep up on Max just check out his sister's blog. She is trying to keep everyone posted and up to date because the Skembos have so many friends. You can find her blog at www.azhappy.blogspot.com

Tonight as I was conducting opening exercises for the Cub Scouts I had the Cubs recite some basic safety rules that would keep them safe. I guess I was hoping to inoculate them from the tragedies and twists of fate that are often, but not always, accompanied by a lack of following basic safety precautions. It just makes me sick to think about how Max and Dorian sat in the same room, in the same cute cub scout shirts, with all of the love and attention we could possibly give them to end up in this situation. I know God has a plan and that He is in control. That is the only way we will make it through. This is a tough time for the old D-4.

3 comments:

Deanna said...

I am so sorry to hear about the accidents. It was definitely a bad day for your ward. My heart goes out to all of the families.

Fisher Family said...

So so sorry.

The Editor said...

Bonnie, Is there anyone posting on Don's condition/progress? Someone should set up a Caring Bridge website for him so we don't have to pester. We in D-1 are so sorry for this fine young man and are praying for his complete healing and recovery.

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.