Thursday, April 16, 2009

Dorian Carter Funeral

I realized today that several people were getting to my blog by searching for Dorian's funeral. Here are the details. The funeral will be at 10:00 AM at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at the corner of Beltline and Meandering Way in Far North Dallas on Friday, April 17th. Meandering Way is about a mile west of Richardson High School which is also on Beltline Road. There will be a viewing from 9-9:45 at the same building.

What does one wear to an LDS funeral? Women generally wear modest, knee length or longer dresses or skirts. Men wear suits or dress slacks with a nice shirt and tie. But if you don't have these types of clothes don't stress out. Just wear what you have. No one will reprimand you for your clothing choices. We just dress this way at church to show a respectful and reverent attitude.

What can you expect at the service? The service lasts for about an hour. Please arrive about 10 minutes early if you don't plan on attending the viewing. If you plan on going to the viewing it is a good idea to get there at least 30 minutes before the service starts. The viewing is usually held in a smaller room in the church. This viewing will be an open casket. The family will be there. This is a good time to pay your respects to the family. At about 9:45 the veiwing ends and everyone except for family and clergy are invited to leave the room and wait in the chapel. A family prayer is offered and the casket is closed and will not be reopened for the funeral.

The funeral is held in the chapel. Sign the book before you go into the chapel and find a seat. The casket is brought into the chapel, followed by the family. The congregation will be instructed to rise before they enter. After the family is seated, the congregation is asked to be seated. The service will be conducted by Bishop Warren. There will be an invocation given by a congregant. There are musical numbers throughout the service. The eulogy is usually delivered by a family member or a friend. There is usually a talk on the Plan Of Salvation also delivered by a family member or a friend of the family. The Bishop generally closes the services with his remarks. The service ends with a closing prayer. The congregation is asked to rise and the casket is wheeled out of the funeral door with the family following. The congregation is then released. There is usually a little time here to talk with the family. Some of the people who have attended the funeral choose to join the funeral procession to the grave site. At the grave site the grave is dedicated by a member of the priesthood. This is a prayer and an ordinance at the same time.

After the grave side service everyone is free to go. The family will gather back at the church for a meal provided by the Relief Society.

5 comments:

Deanna said...

Great information. I hope the funeral goes well tomorrow.

Fisher Family said...

I don't remember Dorian Carter. Alyse wondered if he was related to Cash Carter. We didn't know the missionary in the accident. He must have been before us. We are so sorry for all the people in the ward who are grieving and suffering at this time. Hope all goes well at the funeral.

Chainsofdelusion said...

He was my best friend....my brother from another mother. And I am truly blessed to of had him in my life for 10yrs. He's a legend and everyone was better off after meeting him.

Chainsofdelusion said...

He was my best friend....my brother from another mother. And I am truly blessed to of had him in my life for 10yrs. He's a legend and everyone was better off after meeting him.

Chainsofdelusion said...

He was my best friend....my brother from another mother. And I am truly blessed to of had him in my life for 10yrs. He's a legend and everyone was better off after meeting him.

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.