Friday, March 20, 2009

Cyanide or Hemlock?

 


This was our last day of skiing before heading home. We were feeling pretty lucky that no one was injured and that we are all still pretty good friends after spending so much time together. Just when I started thinking this way something happened. I took a tumble at the bottom of the Sunshine Bowl and pulled a muscle in my upper right arm. Fortunately, arms are not really important in skiing so the day wasn't over. Unfortunately there are a lot of places at Solitude that require the skier to use his poles and arms to get to the last 10 feet of the lifts. This was where I had to pop a ski and walk over because my Right arm didn't have the strength to pull me up hill at all. I am feeling okay and I can tell there is no serious injury.


 


Joe decided that waiting around for Mom to find her way down the runs was not very fun so he decided to spend the day skiing with John. Joe is good enough and brave enough now that there were no mountain meltdowns so they were okay together. They went all over the mountain on black ad blue runs. The only place they could not go was the Honey comb Canyon because of avalanche danger.

 


Bob and I had this picture taken right before we went down a really steep, long black diamond run off of the Powderhorn Lift. This is my fault. I had never been on Powderhorn and I figured how bad could it be? I had been up to the Summit several times. Right after this picture I tried to find the blue run down only to discover that there were no blue runs. But I had my choice of two black diamond runs. I felt like I was being asked if I wanted to die by taking Hemlock or Cyanide. When I get to the really steep and challenging runs I figure my first priority is to stay alive even if this comes at the expense of looking like a complete dork by skiing really slowly and making an excessive amount of turns down a black run.So I turned my skis down the cliff and started skiing the best I could. I did not fall! I had to take a few courage breaks but I didn't fall apart.

 
Posted by Picasa


This is me at the bottom of the black run. The good thing about this is that all of the runs I went on the rest of the day were a piece of cake.

It was a pretty warm day on the mountain. Too many more days like this and spring skiing will be history.

3 comments:

Deanna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deanna said...

Sorry I had to delete the comment above, I had a mistake and couldn't change it, I think I am still tired from our day on the slopes yesterday.
I like the title "courage break." It's better than the "thigh break" title I always use.

Fisher Family said...

Good Job Bonnie! I hope your arm feels better fast!

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.