Sunday, March 8, 2009

RHS 5K and the Runner's High


Joe and I ran the Richardson High School 5 K yesterday. Sorry, no pictures. It was a beautiful day. The weather was perfect, not too hot, not too cold. This is Texas so the ground is pretty level. Only 3 miles, what is the big deal?

I saw a lot of friends and it would have been great to run or walk with them but I just couldn't keep up. I gave up walking back in November when I got pneumonia so that is my excuse. I came in 412 out of a field of about 460 participants, only a short 52 minutes after I started the race. At least I came in before the asthmatics and the participants using walkers from the Happy Acres Retirement Center, but just barely. Joe finished up about 17 minutes before I did. I would like to say that I just took it slow but that would be a lie. That was the best I could do and I was sucking air! I am really embarrassed about my time. I plan to do this thing again next year and improve my time. The bar is pretty low. I can't imagine doing worse unless I end up having hip replacement surgery and I am actually using a walker. If I finish in about 30 minutes I will have to think of some great reward for myself. Maybe a trip to Disneyland would motivate me.

Last night Joe was talking to Dad and told him how good he felt after the race, kind of like he could do anything! Bob tried to explain the runner's high to him because that seemed to be what he was experiencing. I, on the other hand had to take 4 ibuprofen and a calcium supplement. About thirty minutes after doping myself up I realized that I would have been better served by a morphine drip. That is the only way I will experience a runner's high. My hip joints just wouldn't stop aching. Not only that, but I got a cramp in each foot. My big toe and the toe next to it were cramped together and the other three toes were cramped together. It was kind of like I was making the Vulcan Live Long and Prosper sign with both of my feet. I had to wrap them in a heating pad for about an hour for them to loosen up.

I am feeling a little better today. No more excuses! No more humiliating race times! If I don't exercise regularly for the next year then I am going to have to recruit 300-400 more nursing home participants so that I can at least finish in the middle of the pack.

5 comments:

Megan said...

Now Joey is the one who needs to yell phrases at you when you are running the track like "Even Grandma in her walker is faster than you!"
You must have bribed Joey to run as fast as he did, seeing that is the last time he had enough energy to run.

Fisher Family said...

I'm sorry you are in pain, but good for you! You should be proud of yourself! Tell Joe good job!

Deanna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deanna said...

Are you sure that you are not suffering from altitude sickness? Oh that's right... Texas is flat. I hope you feel better!

Melanie said...

That's cool! I saw all of the racers when I drove by that morning. I think just doing the race is an accomplishment. It doesn't matter how fast you go as long as you had some fun doing it.

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.