Monday, March 30, 2009

Service, Spiritual, and Physical Activities for Family Home Evening

Tonight Joe and I started out Family Home evening by delivering a meal to a friend's family who just had the cutest baby girl. Joe plays football with her brother so we have been there through most of the pregnancy. We gave the Uloth family some ham, mac and cheese with a special bacon and bread crumb topping, mashed sweet potatoes, a loaf of french bread, and a dozen donuts. I made a double portion so we had the same thing, except the Muirs skipped the donuts. I put our dinner in the oven on an automatic timer while we delivered the meal, then we headed over to the church for a 6:00 baptism where we met Bob.

A young, 22 year old woman was being baptized this evening and we wanted to be there to support her decision. It was also her birthday so there was a wonderful Costco cake for the refreshments. I am glad Joe had fun up to this point. Because the remainder of FHE was his nightmare.

He has been sick for several days with a fever, chills, weakness, tiredness and I thought he was having a strange case of the flu. He had a sore throat, his mouth hurt, his testicle hurt, his ear hurt...then his mouth hurt again last night. I decided that maybe his mouth was the problem. I looked in his mouth and saw a horrible infection near a tooth that had been loose for over a year. I helped him pull that tooth out last night and noticed that the tooth next to it was loose also. I started him on an antibiotic and gave him Tylenol. I called the dentist this morning and he advised me to have Joe pull out the loose tooth so that the infection could stop its spread. That was tonight's family Home Evening physical activity. Joe was thinking he should go in and have the dentist remove the tooth but I had to remind him that would come at the cost of one of those lovely, painful shots that you get at the dentist's office. For some reason he thought we should wait until he felt better about it. We tried dental floss but the dental floss just broke. I ended up putting my thumb behind the tooth and giving it a good upward, cracking push to loosen it up. Then we put floss around it and I gave it a good yank and it came out. All of the time Joe kept begging to just go to bed and put it off for another day. When it was all over Joe felt better and he thanked me for his dental work.

I don't know why so many of my kids have had trouble pulling out their baby teeth. I used to love pulling out my baby teeth. If I felt even the smallest amount of give I wiggled and worried the tooth until it was under my pillow. I knew how to get rich! Oh well, I am hoping Joe will feel better tomorrow. I am going to give his baby teeth regular tests to determine which ones he needs to work on because I do not want him to go through this experience again.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Ouch! I was cringing while reading about Joe's teeth. Actually, I'm still cringing. I'm glad Tanya's baptism went well last night. I'm sad we missed it.

Fisher Family said...

Sounds like you had a very eventful family night! Hope Joe's feeling better. My husband was the the one to pull our kids teeth out so I never had to worry about it. It sounds like you did a good job!

Deanna said...

With my bad luck at the dentist office, I think I am coming to you for the rest of my dental needs. Do you do root canals and implants?

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.