Friday, November 26, 2010

Black Friday Line Rules

Getting the good Black Friday deals usually requires an overnighter on a sidewalk outside of the store.  Fortunately we live in Texas so it usually doesn't get so cold that we turn into Popsicles.  It got down to 29 degrees last night.  Poor Bob.  Usually we wait in line together but I opted out last night and came back early in the morning to tag team.  I had to get in at the back of the line probably about a half mile from the door.  Yesterday I left the house at about 3:00 PM and hopped into line at Frys.  Bob came a couple of hours later with a better tent and a propane heater.  There were two small tents ahead of us and three chairs.  I figured that I was about number 10 in line.  No one got in line behind us until after Bob had arrived.  I was surprised when I showed up at 4:30 this morning to find that Bob was about 25th in line.  Bob stayed in his tent all night and didn't notice people letting friends in.  Fortunately Bob got everything he wanted or he might have been really mad at the jerks who saved a spots for ten or more people.  I think there need to be rules for lines.

Here are a few that I suggest:

1.    You are only in line if you are in line.
2.    No saving spots.  If your friends come late they need to go to the back of the line. 
3.    You can take a break to go to the restroom or get food but these should be short breaks.
4.    The first person in line should keep a list of people as they come, up to about the first 25-50 spots.
5.    Drinking alcohol all night leads to problems.  Don't do it.  Liners don't hesitate to call the police to get rid of belligerent drunkards. 
6.    I don't care if we are outside, don't smoke because the people in line next to you can't move.
7.    If you want to listen to media, bring headphones.
8.    Use a restaurant voice throughout the night.  Not everyone cares what you have to say.  Some are trying to sleep.

Here are a few suggestions to get along with your neighbors:

1.    When you get hot food offer to get some for your neighbors.
2.    Offer to watch your neighbor's stuff when he takes potty breaks.
3.    Keep an eye out for people cutting in line in back of you as well as in front of you.
4.    If someone comes and sets up a chair and takes off for hours, move his chair out of the line.  You can do this if you are ahead of the jerk.  You will make yourself a hero to everyone who sets up behind him.
5.  Have a few extra blankets or jackets in your car for the college student who forgets.  He will defend your spot if you take off for a short break.

Some people say that waiting in line for Black Friday deals is stupid, that you can get everything on line for the same price.  I just agree with them.  They should stay home and not compete with me.





 

3 comments:

Fisher Family said...

I always love hearing about your Black Friday shopping experiences because I am one of those people who won't set foot in a store on Black Friday. I spend the day putting up Christmas decorations.

Megan said...

Yes, less competition is better. I am sure that Dad enjoyed using his low temperature sleeping bags as he does not get much use from them living in Texas. I am glad y'all got everything you wanted!

Deanna said...

I like your set of rules. In my line we had to have a "potty pass." It was a little over the top, but it kept the police from breaking up any fights.

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.