Thursday, November 18, 2010

An Otherwise Perfect Day

August 27, 2010.  That was the day we buried Jeff in the Morrison Cemetery, outside of Rudy, Arkansas, on Big Tree Road.  It was a beautiful day.  I am not sure why, but every other time we have been to this cemetery for a funeral or burial, a rainstorm has marred the day.  Not only was it not raining, it was not too hot.  That is something else for a day in late August in Arkansas.  I think it only got up to 85 degrees that day.  My son-in-law Chris conducted the dedication of the grave and Bob offered the dedicatory prayer.  They both did a lovely job.  Many of our family members in Arkansas came to be with us.   


My Aunt Lorene owns the pasture on the other side of the fence.  When her husband, my Uncle Gale, was buried in this cemetery about ten years ago Jeff played taps on his trumpet.  

After the burial we went to a Mexican restaurant in Van Buren.  It was a relief to be done with the formalities.  I remember that everyone at our table ordered chili rellenos.  Jeff loved Mexican food, and had he been with us, I am sure that he too would have ordered the same thing. He would have enjoyed hanging out with everyone in the family.  My Aunt Lorene and my father surprised us and paid for the meal for everyone who came.  We were so grateful to them for this kind gesture.   



After the meal we headed back to my father's ranch.  With a clear sky, somewhat cool weather, and an arsenal with plenty of ammo, we did what we always do after a funeral.  Some people shoot-up drugs to dull the pain.  We just go shooting.  This has got to be our weirdest family tradition.  But it sure puts everyone in a better mood. 


Of course Andrew had to be dressed up to pose for the picture.  Notice the overalls without a shirt and one of the straps undone so that he can fit in better with the Arkansas natives. He was asleep and the safety was on, so no one has to call CPS.  When the shooting started Andrew absolutely hated the noise and I had to take him back to the house, far away from the firing range, so that he could calm down.










We also went four wheeling.  I am pretty sure that some of the group went fishing too.  Do you see what I mean by an otherwise perfect day?    The only problem was that Jeff was not there to enjoy it with us.  We miss him still. 




2 comments:

Deanna said...

I know Jeff would have chosen to be buried in Arkansas by his grandmother. I also know that Jeff would have enjoyed the day that was held in his honor.
I am so grateful that I was able to be there.

Fisher Family said...

Loved those last two pictures of Jeff. He looks so happy in them. Alyse would have loved to have been there for it if she could have been. I will share your post info with her.

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.