Saturday, November 27, 2010

Six New Eagles

Tonight I went to the Boy Scouts of America Museum in Irving for an Eagle Court of honor for six young men.  It was a beautiful meeting.  I loved the setting and the wonderful stories about the boys.  It was a great way to honor the boys who have worked so hard for so many years.  Most of the boys had been Cub Scouts while I was Pack Committee chairman years ago.  I remember going to the Scout Museum with that group as part of our D-4 Cub Day camp.  The museum was only partially completed at the time.  It is totally completed tonight.  After the Eagle ceremony we went back in the museum.  Everyone had fun tonight at the electronic Bee Bee range and at the pinewood derby track, along with other activities.  During that Summer camp we also went to the zoo, to Fair Park, to REI for cliff climbing, and out to Grapevine for horseback riding.  I remember that the cost per boy was about $65.  We also had a big picnic celebration at the end of camp and each boy got a framed picture of himself on a horse.  Wow!  These boys have grown up so much.

Some people wondered why I would be so involved in Cubs at that time when I didn't even have a cub of my own in the pack.  I should have had a cub in the group.  I wanted the cub experience to be the very best it could for the boys who would have been Matthew's friends. It was kind of a bitter-sweet night watching the boys getting their Eagle Awards.  I didn't think about it until I was sitting there tonight, but Matthew probably would be getting his Eagle tonight too.  I try not to let my mind wander in that direction too much.  What might have been... 

2 comments:

Fisher Family said...

From what I have seen you always give your all in whatever you have been called to do! The evening sounded really nice. I can see why it would be bittersweet for you.

Deanna said...

I am sure that working with all the boys throughout their cub scout years was bittersweet. You are an incredible woman and always work so hard!

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.