Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Blue Hole, Santa Rosa, New Mexico, August 2010

When Bob and I passed through Santa Rosa in June on our way back from Santa Fe we stopped by and looked at the Blue Hole.  It is on the south side of the freeway, near the Mc Donald's exit.  I decided at that time that I was not going to pass this spot by in future trips.  It would be a perfect spot to stop by in the summer for a refreshing dip and some wild excitement. 

Joe got in first.  The water is a chilly 55 degrees year-round. 


I got in one toe at a time.  Inch by inch I acclimated myself to the water.

Several people use the Blue Hole for Scuba diving and for Scuba diving lessons.  I was thinking about Jeff as we were here.  I thought it would be fun to go out here with him after he got his scuba certification.  I talked with him that day and that was the last time I talked to him.  We talked about school, about work, about the Blue Hole.  He didn't seem inclined to make a special trip out to New Mexico to go diving.  He was so busy and hoped to get a good job welding underwater. 

Joe was pretty brave.  He was the first to jump in from the low platform.

I have a fear of heights but I couldn't let Joe go and not go myself.  After all, it was the low platform.  I am not sure why it looked so scary from here.

Joe swimming to the steps.

Taking the plunge.


After mastering the low platform I decided that I could jump off the high rocks.  I got up there and it looked like I would be jumping off of a cliff.  I really tried.  I stood there for a long time and then I backed out.  I am semi-ashamed of myself for not taking the jump.  I guess I just need more people than Joe heckling me.  Where was John, Jeff, Megan, and Chris when I needed them?

Of course Joe jumped off about 10 times, no problem.  He had a great time and that was my main goal in taking him here.  I knew that we had a bout 10 hours left in the car before we got home to Dallas and he had his memories to keep him cool.

Joe would love to go again!  Who would like to join him?

3 comments:

Deanna said...

We should meet there in the summer sometime. We still need to meet in Santa Fe too!

Chris said...

It would have to be really hot outside for me to swim in 55 degree water. I guess if you could do it, I might be able to do it too.

Chris said...

The comment above is from me.

Megan

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom but the clock is ticking. My husband and I only have one child left at home. I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains.